Monday, March 22, 2010

Sarah's GF Whole-Grain All-Purpose Flour Mix

This past week some of the kids and I went down to New Jersey to visit my sister, Sarah.  She and some of her kids have food allergies and intolerances, so it is nice to go down and share new recipes.  One recipe she shared with me was her flour mix.  We both feel that it is better to use whole grains than starches and have noticed that a lot of flour mixes use a huge amount of starch and white rice flour.  She has done a lot of experimenting with this flour mix, and it really is delicious.  There is still some starch, though it is much reduced in comparison to how many whole grain flours are in it. 

Sarah's GF Whole-Grain All-Purpose Flour Mix
4 c. brown rice flour
1 1/2 c. GF oat flour (I use GF teff flour--delicious)
3/4 c. GF oat bran (I use GF rice bran)
3/4 c. potato starch
3/4 c. tapioca starch
1/2 c. millet flour or sorghum flour
1/4 c. ground flaxseed

You can use this to substitute for regular flour in recipes.  Make sure that you add 1/2 t. xanthan gum per cup of this flour mix when substituting this flour in various recipes.  Because of the whole grain flours in this mix, you should store it in the refrigerator or freezer. 

I tried some of Sarah's buns that she makes with this flour mix, and they are very good.  I will share that recipe soon.  I also made pizza dough using this mix, and that was good, too.

No comments: