Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Banana Cake Revised

     Ok, so we went to my mom's house to celebrate my son's birthday tonight.  I wanted to make my banana cake as 2 round 9" cakes instead of 8", so I thought maybe I should change some of the amounts of my ingredients.  Anyway, my husband said he liked my cake even better tonight than the one I made last night.  So, I'm putting up my revised cake recipe and will follow this one from now on since I liked it even better, as well.  There was a more pronounced banana flavor, and the cake was a tad deeper.  I made 2- 9" round cakes and made a maple vanilla cream to put between the layers.  Since my parents can't have chocolate, and my son prefers carob over chocolate, anyway, I made a carob frosting.

     Tomorrow night we are going to a New Year's Eve party, and it is our son's actual birthday.  I will be making this cake again, which my family is very excited about.  It will work out perfectly because there are a few people going to the party who have celiac disease and also cannot have dairy.  However, I will be frosting the cake with a chocolate ganache frosting instead of carob.  I love chocolate!

Grainless Banana Cake Revised
1 1/4 c. Bob's Red Mill coconut flour
1/2 t. sea salt
3/4 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
10 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1 (12 oz.) can Thai Kitchen coconut milk--not light
      OR 1 1/2 c. MimicCream
3/4 c. honey
1/2 c. pure maple syrup
1 Tbs. pure GF vanilla extract
3 ripe banans, mashed

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Oil 2- 9" cake pans, and line with a 9" parchment paper circle OR grease 1-9x13" cake pan.


Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a small mixing bowl. In a larger mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Then add the oil, milk, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix. Add the flour mixture and mix until well blended. Mix in the mashed bananas.  You could also add chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips if you would like.

Pour the batter into your prepared pan(s). Bake 45-55 minutes until golden and toothpick tests clean for a 9x13" pan.  If using round cake pans, baking time may be reduced, though I'm not sure how much since I make this in the larger pan.  Next time I use round pans, I'll make it a point to update this.

No comments: