Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dairy Free Chocolate Banana "Mylkshake" Anyone?

When we went gluten free a while ago, we discovered that a few of us also had to be dairy free.  That was a huge disappointment!  Personally, I have a harder time being dairy free than gluten free.  I love all things dairy:  ice cream, yogurt, milk shakes, and cheese!  mmmm.

While I have not found a cheese substitute that I like, I have created a chocolate banana smoothie that can rival any dairy milkshake any day.  This is a very healthy but delicious "mylkshake."  My kids beg for this all the time, and we have been known to have this for breakfast on quite a few occasions!

Chocolate Banana "Mylkshake"
2 c. cold water
1/2 c. raw cashews*
6 pitted dates (or can use less dates plus some stevia, if desired)
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
2 ripe bananas, peeled then frozen**
ice cubes

Blend the cold water, raw cashews, dates, and cocoa powder until smooth.  Depending on your blender, this can take a minute or two.  I don't have a VitaMix, so I blend it about 2 minutes.  Add the frozen bananas and blend just enough to puree the bananas.  If you like your mylkshake colder you can add a few ice cubes, but my blender is not powerful enough to blend the mylkshake after 2 frozen bananas are added.  This will make a full pitcher for my blender.  There are six in my family, so I usually have to make 2 pitchers before everyone is satisfied.

*I soak my cashews, drain, and rinse them before using.  It isn't necessary to soak them, but it is healthier and will make your mylkshake a little creamier, though it will be nice either way.  You can find more information on soaking here:  http://www.raw-food-living.com/soaking-nuts.html 

**If you didn't freeze your bananas, you can add maybe 8-10 ice cubes when you add the bananas at the end.  You can add as many ice cubes as you want to make your shake as cold as you like.  I love to buy a ton of bananas, wait for them to ripen, then peel them and freeze them for those times when I want to have a nice, thick mylkshake or even a fruit smoothie.

No comments: