Sunday, December 27, 2009

Testing the Waters

     When I was growing up, I spent most of my time reading books or playing imaginative games with my best friend. I played the piano, loved singing, and composed my own songs. Television was limited, as were video games. I remember a few times when I was young my dad brought out his "video game"--a big, bulky thing with two knobs. It was some kind of tennis or something. Each player (there were two) would turn his knob to move a line up and down his side of the screen, to hit a dot back across the screen to his opponent. My dad was very protective of his game, so I only got to play it once.
     I became aware of computers when I was in middle school. My best friend's family had a PC, so I would go to her house to play games sometimes.
     I didn't really become aware of the internet until I grew up and got married. After the birth of my third child, we bought a computer. That is when I finally started playing around on the internet. My husband taught me how to turn on the computer and get online.
     Over the last 10 years, I have gradually become more fluent in using the internet to research topics and play games. I have been exploring the world of blogs mostly over the last year, while researching nutrition and the role that food plays in our health. Almost everyone in my family has health issues that are directly affected by the food that we eat, so I have had to learn how to recognize the trigger foods and how to cook and prepare meals accordingly.
     My husband is the one who has been encouraging me to try writing my own blog. I have secretly played around with the idea for a little while, but I have been reluctant to try it--who wants to hear anything about my life or experiences? I'm just a stay-at-home homeschooling wife and mother of four beautiful children. However, I can't help but think there is someone out there, somewhere, who may find my life interesting--perhaps someone I can help on their journey.
     So, here I am. Starting a blog. Testing the waters. Is there anybody out there?

No comments: