Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cinnamon-Raisin Chia Pudding

This morning's breakfast was a variation of the Chia Pudding recipes I've done so far.  This time, I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, vanilla stevia, cinnamon, and raisins, and I heated it in the microwave for a minute because I was freezing and just wanted a comforting, warm breakfast.  Those of you who really know me know that I am not a big fan of cooking in the microwave, but once in a while I succumb to my desire for something warm, fast, and easy.  This morning was one of those times.  Anyway, I discovered that heating the pudding up gets rid of most of the slight "crunch" that the chia seeds seem to have, even after they sit and soak all night in the fridge (not that I dislike the texture of the other puddings, because I do love them).  I really loved the texture of this pudding.  It kind of reminds me of tapioca pudding.  The flavor of this pudding is reminiscent of traditional rice pudding.  I'm sure you could heat this up on your stove instead of the microwave, which is what I will probably do in the future when I make it (dislike the microwave).

Cinnamon-Raisin Chia Pudding
2 Tbs. chia seeds
1/2 c. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk*
13 drops NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Vanilla Stevia
handful of raisins
dashes of cinnamon, to taste

Whisk together the chia seeds, milk, cinnamon, and stevia.  Stir in the raisins.  Heat in a microwavable, glass bowl for 1 minute, then allow to sit for maybe 10  minutes (or heat up on the stove just until hot, then allow to sit).  The pudding will finish thickening and will cool to an "eatable" temperature.  Taste and add more cinnamon or stevia, if desired.

Personally, I don't mind these chia puddings raw and cold.  The slight "crunch" of the seeds just adds texture to me, but I know some won't like that (like my daughter, Cassie), and I think it's better to eat chia seeds warm than not at all even though I know that cooking them probably decreases the nutrients a little bit.

*Sometimes I like to add an extra tablespoon or two of almond milk.  It provides a "softer set" pudding than this recipe normally makes.  To make this raw, you can substitute any homemade nut milk you would like.

No comments: