Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dairy Free Nacho Cheeze Dip

Here's an extra recipe for today.  I've been trying to perfect a dairy-free cheeze substitute recipe, and I have finally perfected one.  My family is so excited about this dip.  Everyone loves it, and it really does taste cheezy!  I made some today and added a can of chopped chiles for nacho cheese dip to go with tortillas.  Averie has some nice dairy-free cheeze recipes on her blog that helped inspire this recipe, along with other recipes I have come across online that gave me the courage to try this.  

12/29/10--I just edited this recipe because over time I have made some slight changes.  I doubled the amounts I originally posted because I always have to double it anyway.  It keeps in the fridge for probably 4 days or so, though it never lasts that long for us since it gets eaten fast!  I also have started using a small can of sliced jalapenos as well as the can of chopped chilis, and I added 1/4 t. of McCormick Spicy Chili Powder.  If the jalapenos add too much heat for you, just use 2 cans of chopped chilis instead.  To make this recipe raw, you can use a fresh, de-seeded jalapeno pepper instead of canned chilis and jalapenos.
                                           Check out the cheezy goodness!

DF Cheeze Dip
2 c. raw cashews
1- 1 1/2 c. cold water
3 Tbs. lemon juice
6 Tbs. Nutritional Yeast
2 Tbs. tahini
1 1/2 t. paprika
1 Tbs. salt 
1 1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. spicy chili powder
1 small can chopped chiles
1 small can sliced jalapenos

Soak the cashews in clean cold water for an hour or two.  Then drain and rinse them.  Blend all the ingredients in your blender.  I don't have a Vita-Mix, so it takes a little more water for me to get the blender to work it.  I just stand over the blender and add a touch of water, maybe a tablespoon at a time until I see the dip start churning in the pitcher.  If you have a Vita-Mix, you won't have to use as much water.  Just use as little or as much as your tastes desire.  I have made this dip without soaking the cashews first, using a little more water in the recipe.  It still tastes good, though the texture is not as creamy.  Don't use the soaking water in your recipe.   


This makes about 3 c. dip.

No comments: