Friday, April 9, 2010

Strawberry Banana Protein Shake (DF)

Since Nathan is so underweight, we are trying to help him gain weight and grow by adding protein to his diet.  It does seem to be helping, though I have noticed that he is making himself eat more food in general on his own, since he has been concerned about being so much smaller than his friends.  He has gained 4 lbs. in the last month.

In my efforts to increase protein in Nate's diet, I have been making protein shakes for him.  Being a woman, I am always thinking chocolate, but he informed me the other day that he is getting too much chocolate and wants another flavor.  I thought these shakes would taste nasty, but I was pleasantly surprised that they are quite good.  In fact, I made enough shake for all of us to have some with our lunch today.  This version is what I made for me and the other kids.  Nathan's was made with 1/2 a can of Thai Kitchens Coconut Milk plus some water instead of the cashews and water. (I have also been increasing the fats in his diet.)  Nathan is my pickiest eater, and he does like these protein shakes.

Strawberry Banana Protein Shake
2 c. cold water
1/2 c. raw cashews
4 Tbs. Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 50 protein powder
7 pitted dates
2 frozen bananas
6-8 large frozen strawberries
vanilla stevia to taste (I used 14 drops.)

Blend the water, cashews, protein powder, and dates until smooth.  This may take a minute or so depending on your blender.  Add the bananas, strawberries, and stevia, blending just until smooth and thick.  If you would like yours thicker, you can add more fruit.  If it's too thick, add a touch more water just to get it going.

No comments: